Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

25. Olveiroa to Finisterre 4/8/12

It was going to be my longest walking day and yet I wasn't in a hurry to leave. I didn't realize that the Casa I stayed at provided breakfast - so I had that and then headed off to the restaurant with the brown bread and freshly squeezed orange juice - and bought a couple of bananas on the way.  I didn't mind having two breakfasts as figured I'd need the energy.  I had a couple of cups of coffee and 2-3 cigarettes before making a start.

I loved the walk.  It was an overcast day and it seemed like I had the path to myself for many kilometers.  Then it started to rain but it didn't matter. I put on my 50 cent pink poncho and just kept going.  I imagine the views would have been lovely on a fine day but there certainly weren't any views on the day I was walking.

At the small town called Hospital you had the choice of either going to Finisterre or Muxia.  Finisterre is significant as it was considered The End of the World - as it was the western most point of the ancient world. Finisterre was also known as the Coast of Death - because it was at one time considered the edge of the world.  Tradition tells that at Muxia the Virgin Mary visited by boat to give encouragement to St James.  I took the route to the end of the world.

These are the few photos I took on the way:






More feline friends Mallie


What pretty yellow flowers! (As Steve said, JBQ would have the spray on those in no time)

I have no idea what this factory is
















Then the rain and fog really set in



The pretty town of Corcubión
Not as fetching as the 330 euro Gortex jacket I tried to buy from the sport shop in Amstersdam
- but very practical as it also covered my pack 





That's the end of the world you can see



It cleared just as I arrived in Finisterre
I got to the Albergue du Sol but there wasn't any sun and in fact was quite chilly.

I was so pleased I had rung up the night before and booked my own room.  After a hot shower I was knackered and was looking forward to a beer and something to eat. My Kiwi friends arrived not long after I'd got in and said that we were off to the lighthouse (another 3.5km walk each way).  We bought some beers and headed off up the hill.  We'd tried to organize for a taxi to meet us up the top to bring us back - but that didn't work out - just as well as we were just being lazy.

On the walk to the lighthouse we saw this couple just come out from the church


The walk to the end of the world is finished 


A beer at the end of the world with the Kiwis Antoinette and James
Every time I was with them they knew so many people - here they are sharing their nuts with the young Brit and German guy they'd met on the Camino. In the background is the lighthouse.


Burning the cigarette packet

But it won't burn properly - is this a sign...?

A kiss at the end of the Camino

I didn't have anyone to kiss

The wander back to town to go and have a beer and check out the seafood festival:








I couldn't believe this - at a fair they had a merry-go-round but they used real ponies!  I can't imagine this happening in the UK. 



I resisted buying this
Traditional dancers





The gorgeous woman who cooked our food

These things were yummy - longueiron - they are a long, skinny shellfish and tasted like pipis. 

The had tongues that would stick out the end

We ordered one of everything on the menu to try. Each thing had seafood in it.






I sloped off to my albergue at 11pm and Antoinette, James and some others we were with stayed out till  3am. I'm pleased I didn't stay.  I was again knackered after the 38km of walking that day.



1 comment:

  1. Looks like you are having an amazing time Rach. I love the photo of the ragwort. JBQ loves ragwort as we both know.....

    ReplyDelete