Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

20. Villafranca del Bierzo to Sarria 27/7/12



I was up early as it was going to be a big day's riding.  I first had 18km to do on relatively flat ground and then there was a great big climb to do.  I'd paid for breakfast the day before and they told me it started at 6am - but it took until 7am before someone came to prepare it.

Sitting round waiting for breakfast
This was my favorite day's ride scenery-wise, the hardest day's ride hill-wise and the day I ended up doing the most kilometres - as I did 75.  I think all the lamb from the night before gave me lots of energy - as did the cafe con baileys I had at 10am before the big hill.

These are some photos of on the way to the big hill and going up the big hill:



This one is for Mallie


You often see Spanish women out sweeping



The little pub I stopped at for my cafe con baileys



A photo for Jeff as there is a bridge in the background


It was great to have it clearly written that cyclists should go this way

Some of the many cyclists that passed me


I love the views up in the hills

I only managed to cycle on some of this path - I was happy to push my bike up


The border to Galicia



The village at the top of the hill where I stopped to have a couple of beers 
and recharge my phone so I could take some more photos


The next lot of photos was the downhill run - which was great as the roads are so good. I got up to 53km per hour at one point.  Then the photos are off the scenery and towns I passed on the way to Sarria.  







I stopped here by the river for a break

I only got into Sarria about about 6.30pm and found the loveliest albergue to stay at - it was just like being in someone's home.

I had a dorm room with only 3 others - and no one snored.
These girls were gorgeous - one from the USA and two from Germany.

The lounge room

The dining room

Claire

The lovely Casa El Peltre
I met Song at his hotel at the bar for a drink before going for dinner at the hotel restaurant. He said it was the best restaurant in the town as it had 'three forks'.


I ordered the recommendations by the maitre de - the prawns and garlic and the steak.  




After finishing the wine outside and having a couple of cigs I had to run all the way back to my albergue as it was nearly 10.30 - the time they locked the gate. The guy was just ready to lock up as I arrived. Four older women were lucky as they were not back till just after 10.30 so were locked out - but I was downstairs in the bathroom and heard them knocking.  I've heard a few stories of pilgrims having to sleep outside or having to go to a hotel as they've got back to their albergue to late.

No comments:

Post a Comment