Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

6. Espinal to Villava 11/7/12



I didn’t leave the Hostal Rural Haizea until midday as it was drizzling and I sat in the bar and asked the barmaid for a recommendation of a typical breakfast  - so she brought me out a big roll with sausages in it (with a café con baileys of course). 

It was only a 20km ride to Pamplona but I knew that there would be no accommodation there because of San Fermin (the running of the bulls) so stopped at the village 4 or 5 kms before Pamplona – Villava.  I got a bottom bunk and they had a place for my bike.  The dorm was pretty grim but beside a pretty river. 

I dropped off my panniers in the dorm room and biked to Pamplona on the cycle path.  Pamplona was a different place from what it had been the week before as the streets were full of people dressed in white and red and although it was only 4pm everyone was in full swing enjoying themselves and drinking in the streets.  I got offered a drink by a French couple after she found out I was a Kiwi as all her friends and family were rugby mad.  I don’t speak French and they didn’t really speak English and I think they thought I played rugby!  Anyway, I managed to convey that I was at the French/All Black rugby world cup final and apologised for beating them.

I got back to Villava about 8, had a shower and went for dinner at the restaurant beside the Albergue that had a pilgrims’ menu. Pilgrims’ menus are offered by many restaurants  on the Camino route and sometimes you have to show your Pilgrim’s credential/passport to prove you are a Pilgrim. They are always 3 courses; bread and either wine or water. It always makes me laugh that you have to choose wine OR water – and when I’ve ordered on my own they give me my own bottle of wine.   After I sat down this night the two lovely young Korean people I’d met in Espinal walked in so I had dinner with them.  So Young (the girl) and June (the boy) had met at the train station on the way to St Jean Pied-de-Port and were both starting the Camino the next day. 


Hostal Rural Haizea in Espinal - it didn't look much from the outside but was great inside

A guy from Spain I cycled with for a while after I left Espinal.
Chivalry is alive and well in this part of the world and he would open and close the gates for me!        

The streets of Pamplona


Drinking and cycling is allowed


The rugby mad lads






No comments:

Post a Comment